Thanks to Matthew Paul Thomas’s specification and work by Dylan McCall and myself, there is a proposed patch to change the Software Updater’s details panel.
I’m excited about the work and just wanted to highlight it here. See the difference for yourself:
This hasn’t landed yet, but there is enough time before 13.04 that I’m confident it will make it.
A bit about what you’re seeing in that new view:
- The “Backup” text and icon is being pulled from the .desktop file for the app.
- “Backup” has subitems because there are some updates that only “Backup” depends on.
- Updates that are not apps but are part of the base system (i.e. “on the CD but no .desktop file”) are under “Ubuntu base”.
- For flavors, that should intelligently change to “Xubuntu base” or whatever and use the right metapackage.
- Notice that the package name is no longer shown, so make sure your package descriptions are high quality!