This means that Gentoo now has version 2.6, rather than the embarrassing year-old 1.13.
Xpad 2.6 has been released. It fixes a particularly annoying bug and let me clear out the translation pileup.
Xpad 2.5 has been released. This is a bug fix release, including a fix for upgrading from old versions of xpad (which I note some people are still using, the poor bastards).
As further evidence that I need to do better QA, xpad 2.4 has been released. It creates the ~/.config directory if it doesn’t exist.
Xpad 2.3 has been released, fixing a compile error. If you have a working 2.2 version, you don’t need this one.
New Hungarian and Vietnamese translations also make an appearance, which is cool.
I’m no longer offering a binary package because I’m stuck without a way to compile i386 applications. Since I moved to an Athlon 64, I’ve been living in 64-bit-native land. When I can find an easy way to compile packages again, I’ll put one up. Plus, I got a report that the old package would delete /usr/bin on uninstall, which is never good.
Xpad 2.0 is finally out. After dragging my heels, I fixed the last couple known bugs and packaged it up. This release doesn’t feature much more than a couple minor bug fixes, but the changes from 1.13 to 2.0 are significant.
In particular, this is the first stable release to offer a binary package, in the form of an autopackage. I’ve tried it out, obviously, and it is pretty slick. You get a nice dialog while it installs, and it makes user installs very easy without root access.
Just released xpad-2.0-b2, which is a much better release than beta1. Fixed some crashers that appeared in beta1 and redesigned the preference windows to be more HIG-friendly and sexier. Also, if your notification area restarts, xpad’s tray icon is also restarted. Yay!
On the horizon: Some of that new transparency everyone’s talking about.
I just pushed through a new release of xpad, which is actually just a beta for the upcoming 2.0 release. It has lots of goodies, including a new toolbar, text formatting, and remembering pad hidden state.
It is the result of a couple weekends of hacking. It started with the simple desire to object orient some of the code base, using proper GObjects and all. The GObjects library is a simply amazing addition of classes into plain C; kudos developers. About half the code base is GObjects now, with more to come.
Predictably, this broke a lot of stuff, but I also fixed things too. For instance, the long-standing bug where the text insertion cursor was not the same color as the text foreground color. For some reason, GTK+ did not make this simple.
Semantic Web Update
The method of joining RDF and XHTML I talked about in my last update did not pan out. I replaced that article with one detailing more accepted methods for joining the semantic web.
I ditched it after talking around, notably in the #rdfig chat room. My method, while maybe well-formed had some predictable semantic problems. But I do want to warn others about my experiences with #rdfig. I felt that the members of the chat were less than helpful with my ignorant self and after a while of trying to help, they mostly gave up on educating me, which is fair. However, I later discovered via a google search that several of the members were in a parallel chat room in which they were making fun of me. Including my personal appearance, based on pictures from my web site. I feel that this was a little low and want to warn others away from that chat room. And to warn IRC users everywhere that if you make fun of someone, you might want to do it in an unlogged chat room.